Newborn and Infant Care

Baby in pain

07/01/2002

Question:

I have a 10 week old baby and am convinced something is not right with her. She is always very uncomfortable, twisting and turning her torso (sometimes with very sudden jerky movements), kicks her legs and pushes on anything near her, claws at my chest when I hold her, and cries out in a pain cry. She is 75% breastfed and 25% formula (lactose free because I thought it may be the problem). She wakes from her sleep and cries out. Needless to say, she sleeps extremely poorly. She does have quit a bit of flatulence and often burps an hour after eating. We did have an upper GI which was negative for reflux. I really think she has an intestinal or bowel problem What do you think? Please help, I hate seeing my daughter in so much pain.

Answer:

Sorry for the delay in answering this question but I was out of town at a professional meeting. It sounds as if both you and your daughter are having a time with her discomfort. First it is extremely important that you follow YOUR instincts. If you think something is the matter with your daughter you need to pursue finding out the cause. A mother instinct is very strong. If your health care provider is not giving you the assistance you feel is needed then perhaps you should investigate finding another provider. Based on what you have told me it appears that she does have some colic. This is something that is very frustrating for both the parents and the child. There are a few comfort measures you can do to help alleviate her discomfort. Always feed her as soon as she begins to get hungry. This will keep her from gulping down her feeding along with excessive air, which could be causing some of her discomfort. If she is getting a bottle, be sure that the nipple is completely covered with formula during the feeding so that she does not get any extra air. Do not let her suck on the nipple after the formula is gone. Consistently burp her during each and every feeding and at the end of each feeding. You may try placing her on her abdomen over your thighs and gently patting her in this position. Some baby`s burp very well like this, others do not. If you use a more upright position, try to place her fully upright, so that more of the air will rise and be expelled. During episodes of crying you can try placing her in your lap on her back. Then move her legs in a bicycle riding motion. This often times helps with expelling gas. It may be helpful to you and your health care provider if you begin to keep a diary. Include in this record the type, time, duration and or amount of the feeding, along with how she burped, and when she was burped. Then keep a record of her periods of discomfort, and what you tried that worked or did not work.

Go to the Newborn and Infant Care health topic, where you can:

Tina   Weitkamp, RNC, MSN Tina Weitkamp, RNC, MSN
Associate Professor of Clinical Nursing