Urinary Tract Cancers

Urinary Tract Cancer -Hereditary?

07/11/2002

Question:

My paternal grandmother died of unterine cancer in the 1940`s. Two of her sisters died of `abdominal` cancers. My aunt, her daughter, died of cancer of the ureter, and my father (her son) died of prostrate cancer (he previously had urinary tract problems). I am 51 and am on my second antibiotic for a bladder infection. I have constant lower back pain. What are the hereditary factors in urinary tract cancer? How is it detected early?

Answer:

There is no evidence to suggest a hereditary factor in cancer of the ureter or bladder. There can be a genetic disposition to kidney and prostate cancer. With such a strong family history of cancer you may want to consult with a genhetic counselor who should be able to advise you. Also if you are experiencing medical problems I suggest you consult with your physician. 

Go to the Urinary Tract Cancers health topic, where you can:

Martin I Resnick, MD Martin I Resnick, MD
Formerly, Professor of Urology