Complementary Medicine

What Could Cause Intense Pain in the Left Breast?

I’m 38 years old and have no children. About 3 months ago I started having severe breast pain, especially in my left breast. I almost went crazy with pain, I couldn’t` even sleep, walk or drive my car. In the X-ray everything is ok. My doctor told me it`s physiological and prescribed Progesterone, but it didn`t work. Then I took Bromocriptine (Parlodel), with painkillers (Paracetamol) and anti-inflammatory drugs and the pain subsided a little but it still didn`t go away. Only Gestrinone worked, but the my doctor tells me I have to stop taking it soon and that the pain will return. Why did this happen to me now? Is there no hope? There`s really nothing I can do to stop it? I found out I have four fibromas about the size of a golf ball in my uterus, can there be some connection?

It`s not uncommon to have hormonal imbalances which can cause an increase in PMS symptoms (including breast pain) as well as fibroids (or an enlarging of pre-existent fibroids). Usually, I prescribe stopping caffeine, and using Flaxseed or Evening Primrose oil (each are 2 grams once or twice daily), and a trial of Chaste Tree Berry (also called Vitex), for the breast pain and other PMS symptoms. I`m concerned, however that your breast pain is one-sided. That`s not commonly a result of hormonal imbalance. You might consider seeing a breast specialist.

Go to the Complementary Medicine health topic, where you can:

Tanya I Edwards, MD, MEd Tanya I Edwards, MD, MEd
Formerly, Associate Professor of Medicine