Osteoporosis

Osteoporosis Medication and Pregnancy

09/09/2002

Question:

I am a 31 year old female that has been on a high dose of Prednisone for 2 years (due to diagnosis of Myasthenia Gravis). I was diagnosed with osteoporosis 1 year ago, and my doctor recommended Fosamax. I`ve had differing opinions on my ability to have children. I`m assuming that it`s not recommended to be on the medication while pregnant. However, what is your opinion on how long do I need to be off the medication before I can try and get pregnant? My ob/gyn mentioned that the half life is 20 years, so he wouldn`t recommend ever getting pregnant.

Answer:

There is a long half-life for bisphosphonates. Since there is little data on this issue, it would probably be advisable to have your children first and then use the medication. Pregnancy actually improves bone density for those who have adequate calcium and vitamin D compared to those women who have never had a fullterm pregnancy.

Go to the Osteoporosis health topic, where you can:

Margery   Gass, MD Margery Gass, MD
Formely, Professor, Clinical Obstetrics & Gynecology