Exercise and Fitness

Exercise equals illness

10/10/2002

Question:

My 16 year old daughter has been swimming competitively for several years. Just this season she complains of feeling sick to her stomach and light headed when she pushes herself during meets. The longer the race the worse she feels...in fact she has had to run to the bathroom to throw-up frequently in the last few weeks. Can the solution really be as simple as drink more and eat better? Are there other possiblities?

Answer:

I would discuss this situation with your daughter`s primary care physician in order to rule out any underlying reasons for this change. I am interested to know what changes have been made in your daughter`s daily routine from previous years to this year. Does she only feel this way during meets and not at practices? Maybe the stress of competition is factoring in? Endurance athletes do need to be properly fueled and hydrated in order to perform well. You may wish to address your nutritional concerns to the diet & nutrition expert panel for sports nutrition information. 

Go to the Exercise and Fitness health topic, where you can:

Carolyn   Nickol, RD, MEd Carolyn Nickol, RD, MEd
Director
Fitness Center at CARE\Crawley