HIV and AIDS

Could I Possibly Have Symptoms For The Virus?

12/12/2002

Question:

I was tested negative for HIV, but still question certain symptoms I have like that I often get yeast infections and I always have acne on my back. Also last year I broke out with a case of sores inside my mouth and on the outside of my mouth. I couldn`t eat solid food for days. They tested me and I was negative for herpes, but I wonder if it could be thrush or shingles or maybe it was herpes which can be a symptom of HIV?

Answer:

The symptoms you describe could be independent of each other. Yeast infections, acne, and mouth sores are common in the general population. On the other hand, when these happen frequently or don`t get better on their own, they could mean that the person has some extra susceptibility. HIV infection or AIDS is only one situation that leads to increased susceptibility. A negative HIV test three months after the last risky exposure (sex without a condom or exposure to HIV infected blood) is good evidence that HIV infection is not present.

Go to the HIV and AIDS health topic, where you can:

Peter T Frame, MD Peter T Frame, MD
Emeritus Professor of Clinical Medicine