Infectious Diseases

Hepatitis B vaccine

01/02/2003

Question:

I received the Hepatitis B vaccine as a series of 3 shots back in the early 90s when I worked in a lab with body fluids. Does this vaccine need a booster or is it a once in a life time vaccine? My 13 year old also received his about 10 years ago, back when children were first starting to be given the vaccine routinely. I do not currently work with body fluids (other than my kids body fluids!!) however several family members who we will be seeing over the holidays are hepatitis B positive, one is a carrier. I checked out the CDC website and it didn`t appear that we need boosters but I wanted other opinions and I`ll probably pester my family MD with the same question.

Answer:

This question has been answered previously. The link below will connect you to that answer. You can also return to the Ask an Expert page and use the "Search" option to find information from related questions. Feel free to write back if you still have questions or need an explanation. 

Hepatitis B vaccine duration

Go to the Infectious Diseases health topic, where you can:

Pamposh   Kaul, MD Pamposh Kaul, MD