Exercise and Fitness

Half Marathon Expectations

01/31/2003

Question:

I have taken two years off (I am 47 years old) but I want to get back into a regular fitness schedule. I found that in the past, entering triathlons, duathlons and citizen running races motivated me to keep up my training schedule. Now that I`m green at this again, I don`t know whether I have any training limitations. After a month of daily 2 mile runs, I have increased to a 3 mile run each day. It`s January 7th and I`d like to run a half marathon by April 13th. Is this a reasonable goal? In the past I would run 10 miles at a time but I never ran a half marathon distance - it just wasn`t my goal then. What`s your recommendation?

Answer:

I have an excellent article for you titled "Training to Run a Marathon", which could be modified for a half marathon. If you would like a copy, please send me your address directly to my email, Carolyn.Nickol@uc.edu (not to NetWellness). A 12-week time frame will allow you a gradual mileage buildup over 10 weeks, with a two-week taper before the event. I look forward to hearing from you!

Go to the Exercise and Fitness health topic, where you can:

Carolyn   Nickol, RD, MEd Carolyn Nickol, RD, MEd
Director
Fitness Center at CARE\Crawley