Exercise and Fitness

Weight/Exercise

04/09/2003

Question:

I am 53 years old, and have always been underweight. About a year ago, at my request, my doctor put me on some medicine that he said would probably make me gain weight. I have put on about 20 pounds, and went from a size 1-3 to a size 9. I`m happy about the weight, but not how it has come on. Since I never had a stomach before, I never had to worry (I didn`t think) about my muscles. Now I have a pooch in my lower abdomen, and my upper arms and thighs have that "ripply" look. How can I get rid of these things without losing the 20 pounds I tried so hard to gain. I eat anything and everything I can just to keep my weight up.

Answer:

Are you involved in any type of physical activity program? It is important for all individuals to be involved in a regular exercise program. A well-rounded exercise program consists of cardiovascular conditioning, muscular strengthening activities, and flexibility. If you are not currently involved in a regular exercise program, you should first consult with your physician before beginning an exercise program. 

Go to the Exercise and Fitness health topic, where you can:

Carolyn   Nickol, RD, MEd Carolyn Nickol, RD, MEd
Director
Fitness Center at CARE\Crawley