Exercise and Fitness

Target heart rate to lose fat on beta blocker

04/10/2003

Question:

I am a 56 year old female. I am taking Atenolol 50mg and lisinopril 20mg. I started exercising at Curves for Women. What should my heart rate be to lose fat since I`m on a beta blocker? The owner said that being on a beta blocker decreases the regular heart rate, therefore, I should find out what the heart rate needs to be to lose fat. Their charts for someone not taking a beta blocker is 102 through 126 heart rate to lost fat.

Answer:

It is true that beta blockers do decrease exercise and maximal heart rates. Due to the fact that you are on a medication that alters your heart rate, ideally your cardiologist should determine your exercise heart rate. However, a very sound and practical method of determining one`s exertion level is the Borg Rating of Perceived Exertion Scale. Clients use this scale as a subjective way of determining how hard they are exercising. 

Go to the Exercise and Fitness health topic, where you can:

Carolyn   Nickol, RD, MEd Carolyn Nickol, RD, MEd
Director
Fitness Center at CARE\Crawley