Cancer Genetics

Chromosomes and Cancer

05/13/2003

Question:

Is there a resource for learning more about chromosomal abnormalities and NHL or other diseases linked to translocations, deletions and additions?

Answer:

There are a number of resources available in most medical libraries, but they will tend to be of a rather high level. For the most part, the chromosomal translocations that are found in individuals with NHL are limited to the lymphoma cells that are overgrowing. That is, most are not hereditary. Some chromosomal translocations may be inherited from a parent, or may arise during the development of the embryo, but these are generally associated with more significant overall health problems. If you wish to read about chromosomal rearrangements and cancer, I suggest "The Genetic Basis of Human Cancer" by Vogelstein and Kinzler. If you wish to read about chromosomal translocations in general, I would suggest "Chromosomal Abnormalities and Genetic Counseling" by Gardner and Southerland.

Go to the Cancer Genetics health topic, where you can:

Duane D Culler, PhD, MS Duane D Culler, PhD, MS
Clinical Instructor of Genetics