Asthma

Asthma and Women

04/30/2003

Question:

What is the correlation between women and Asthma? I read that it is more common in women. Is this true, and if so why?

Answer:

Among the general population in the US, asthma does appear to affect females slightly more commonly than males (61 cases/1000 population for females versus 52 cases/1000 population for males). (These statistics are from the "Data Fact Sheet: Asthma Statistics" found at the National Institutes of Health website). To my knowledge, the preponderance in adult women has not been explained. However, there is some evidence to suggest that asthma symptom`s may be hormonally influenced. Interestingly, among children, asthma tends to occur more frequently in males. Both the American Lung Association (ALA) and National Institutes of Health (NIH) have websites with statistical information about asthma that may be of further interest to you. 

Go to the Asthma health topic, where you can:

Dennis   McGraw, MD Dennis McGraw, MD