Exercise and Fitness

Legs burning while walking

07/25/2003

Question:

While I am walking/running, either on a treadmill or outdoors, my legs start to burn. They get hot and start itching intensely. It seems to do this most when I pick up the pace and start walking/running within my target heart rate zone. The discomfort stops after I cool down. What causes this and is there anything that can be done to prevent this problem?

Answer:

Exercisers are prone to numerous skin problems caused by increased moisture, heat, or friction. Elements such as cold, sunlight, and infection may also aggravate the skin. Sweating is one of the most common causes of sports-related skin disorders. Wet skin promotes the production of otherwise normal skin bacteria and other microscopic organisms. For some individuals, by keeping the skin dry, clean, and protected can sometimes alleviate the symptoms. If your problem persists, I would discuss it with your personal physician. 

Go to the Exercise and Fitness health topic, where you can:

Carolyn   Nickol, RD, MEd Carolyn Nickol, RD, MEd
Director
Fitness Center at CARE\Crawley