Erectile Dysfunction (ED)

Erectile Disfunction

07/07/2003

Question:

I am currently diagnosed with type 2 diabeties and have been diabetic for the past 9 years. My problem is that I am experiencing "erectile disfunction". I`ve been to a urologist and have received a prescription for Viagra 100mg. I`m not sure how to effectively use this medication. I`m told to take it 30 miniutes to one hour before engaging in sexual activity. The proplem is, it does not seem to work when I am am with my partner. If I wish to masturbate, it seems to work just fine. Could this be a problem that is psycological or is there some other problem that is physical? What can I do and what other options other then surgery can I look at?

Answer:

Hi.  If you get a "good" erection with masturbation, but not with your partner, then the problem may be psychological and you should see a psychologist who deals with sexual medicine. As far as the diabetes, make sure you take the viagra on an empty stomach, about 2-3 hours after a meal. Also, try to keep your sugar under tight control. All these will help.  

Go to the Erectile Dysfunction (ED) health topic, where you can:

Allen D Seftel, MD Allen D Seftel, MD
Formerly, Professor of Urology