Prostate Cancer

Prostate Treatment Options

06/11/2003

Question:

A very active 75 year old in good health, is diagnosed with prostate, with a PSA reading 8, biopsy gleason 5 and staging of I or 2. The options discussed were: ``Wait and Watch`` with PSA every 6 months. External radiation or brachy seed therapy.

It was left up to me to decide. Surgery removal is not recommended due to my age. What would you recommend ? Thank you.

Answer:

There is no right or wrong answer to your question. Your PSA is low and you have a malignancy of low aggressive potential. Though I don`t know your general health nor your family history, I tend to follow patients your age with PSA determinations every six months. If one is uncomfortable with that approach and desires one that is more definitive, then radiation therapy is a very viable option. I would agree with the thoughts regarding surgery. I hope this information is helpful to you.

Go to the Prostate Cancer health topic, where you can:

Martin I Resnick, MD Martin I Resnick, MD
Formerly, Professor of Urology