Erectile Dysfunction (ED)

Pennis Erection and medicine

07/07/2003

Question:

I am a man of 59 yrs of age. I have not have a sex since year 2000, however I have erection. My urologist told me there is no other benefits of Viagra except hard erection of pennis. I do not think I have any other reasons other than old age. I had sugar problem but I have controlled and I do not take any medicine and kept my weight normal, 135 lb for my sixe 5ft 5in. I had Thyroid goiter surgery half( left side removed). I will stop taking Synthroid from next month since I have been taking since surgery in 2000. I would like to have hard erection, though I do not need sexual intercourse as my wife do not have desire too. 1. What can I do to have erection? 2. any Vitamin or pills I can Take? 3. Any harm in future if I do not take medicine for erection?

Answer:

Hi. I am not sure of your question. If you are not getting an erection with Viagra, then there are other medicines that you can use to get an erection, like a shot into the penis. There are no vitamins that have been shown to be helpful. As far as harm to you, there is no physical harm if you do not get an erection;  however, the studies have shown that many men are unhappy and have a less satisfactory life. Also, if your wife is not interested, then that is a problem as well.  You should see a local urologist to get started with an evaluation. 

Go to the Erectile Dysfunction (ED) health topic, where you can:

Allen D Seftel, MD Allen D Seftel, MD
Formerly, Professor of Urology