Lupus

I HAVE LUPUS SLE, WHERE CAN I GO???

06/25/2003

Question:

I am a 51 year black female, and recently has been diagnosed with Lupus SLE. Unfortunately, I can`t see a specialist till 8/25/03, because I do not have any insurance. In the meantime, I live in the emergency taking shots, and whatever medicine. I am tired and need help.It effects ALL of my muscle. The pain gets very severed from my right shoulder down to my fingers.My fingers on the right hand are hurting as I am typing this question. PLEASE I NEED SOME ADVICE, HELP. SOMEONE PLEASE ANSWER MY QUESTION. THANKS AND GOD BLESS.

Answer:

In Cincinnati, patients who do not have insurance are seen at the University Clinic - The Arthritis Clinic at the University Hospital. I assume the same thing happens in Columbus and the rest of Ohio`s big cities. Your family doctor can refer you - or the emergency department can refer you - to the Arthritis Clinic. Usually those are teaching clinics and they are good and take people without insurance. Until you are seen, the family doctor can talk with one of the Rheumatologists by phone and give some advice on your treatment.

Go to the Lupus health topic, where you can:

Yolanda   Farhey, MD Yolanda Farhey, MD