Newborn and Infant Care

Masked Baby

07/14/2003

Question:

Really curious, when my now 22 year old cousin was born, she was 1 whole month late. When she was born, she came out with a mask of sticky white stuff pefectly formed around her face. The doctor called for the nurse to get a shot and he stuck it in her foot. She then began to finally cry. At that time the doctor refused to talk about it to the family. He pretty much denied anything was wrong. They never found out what caused this mask or what the shot was to start her crying. To this day they still wonder and I was curious if you could help. Thanks

Answer:

I do not have enough information to answer your questions. Babies are often covered in vernix caseosa, a white cheese-like protective substance that can cover the entire body. If your cousin is really interested in her birth history, I would suggest that she contact the delivering doctor.

Go to the Newborn and Infant Care health topic, where you can:

Tina   Weitkamp, RNC, MSN Tina Weitkamp, RNC, MSN
Associate Professor of Clinical Nursing