Complementary Medicine

Are There Any Herbal Remedies for Hot Flashes?

09/02/2003

Question:

Could you please tell me if there are any effective herbal remedies for hot flashes? I have endured hot flashes for 5 years now, and they show no signs of abating. I am menopausal and do not wish to take the prescription medications due to their undesirable side effects. I have tried soy, black cohosh, exercise, etc. but nothing seems to help. In the meantime, I spend significant time each day - and night - being either "steamed" or chilled from the subsequent sweating. I can`t imagine another 5 years of this. Is there any hope on the horizon? Thanks!

Answer:

This question has been answered previously. The link below will connect you to that answer. You can also return to the Ask an Expert page and use the "Search" option to find information from related questions. Feel free to write back if you still have questions or need an explanation. 

Relief of Hot Flashes and Night Sweats

Go to the Complementary Medicine health topic, where you can:

Tanya I Edwards, MD, MEd Tanya I Edwards, MD, MEd
Formerly, Associate Professor of Medicine