Exercise and Fitness

Tense belly muscle, or colon concern?

12/05/2003

Question:

Hello! I am 20, and am concerned because yesterday shortly after I woke up, I felt a very sudden feeling of bloating and soreness in the upper left abdomen, about 1.5 to 2 inches under the skin. It was not very painful, but just felt rather strange--like a tense muscle. I went to our chiropractor today, and he gave me an adjustment and said that it is most likely a muscle/structural thing and should go away soon. He said it is most likely not my colon, because I would have other symptoms (which I do not seem to have--everything`s normal there). Does this make sense to you? Could I have tightened up that muscle from anxiety maybe? I am a very uptight person, stressed out and anxious about many things. Or could it be a dietary problem in my colon? Thanks!

Answer:

It is possible that your abdominal muscle soreness may be the result of the anxiety you mentioned. In the event that you experience this problem again, I suggest you seek professional medical advice from your personal physician.

Go to the Exercise and Fitness health topic, where you can:

Carolyn   Nickol, RD, MEd Carolyn Nickol, RD, MEd
Director
Fitness Center at CARE\Crawley