Exercise and Fitness

Exercise

12/05/2003

Question:

I am a 62 old female and have been working out at the gym. I noticed on the treadmills it states to burn fat you should only go at 60-65% of your maximum heartrate. Does this mean that you will also loose weight faster at this slower pace. If so why is everyone going fast or running? Also I have been using a leg sleigh and leg extenders lifting the bar up with my legs when sitting. Now my kneecap hurts when I stand up and it feels like my knee doesn`t want to bend. Is it from this type of equipment. Should I stop these leg exercises? Thank you

Answer:

Regarding your knee cap pain, exercise should never cause you to experience pain. Therefore, I suggest you immediately discontinue any exercise that is causing you pain. Your exercise facility should provide a professional fitness instructor who could consult with you regarding this matter. The fitness professional should assess your technique in order to determine that you are performing the strength exercises correctly. Regarding fat burning at slower treadmill speeds, you will not lose weight faster by walking slower. While it is true your body targets more fat cells for energy expenditure at these lower intensities, you will burn more total calories by working at higher intensities. Prior to changing your program, I suggest discussing these matters with a fitness professional to determine what range of cardiovascular intensity is best for you. 

Go to the Exercise and Fitness health topic, where you can:

Carolyn   Nickol, RD, MEd Carolyn Nickol, RD, MEd
Director
Fitness Center at CARE\Crawley