Prostate Cancer

What Would Be Some Reasons for Blood in Urine?

09/14/2003

Question:

Because of blood in my urine, I went to an urologist. I was diagnosed with an Enlarged Prostate (BPH) after tests and x-rays and a cystoscopy. I have none of the other classical symptoms of BPH. What is the physiological process by which blood gets deposited in my urine? Is this bleeding harmful in of itself, or is it just a symptom of BPH. Can you explain this to me in layman`s terms. Thank You.

Answer:

Blood in the urine can be due to many different causes and can originate from the kidneys, ureter (the tubes draining the kidneys), the bladder, and the prostate. Blood in itself is not harmful, but it is the cause of the bleeding that is the cause of concern. For instance, it can be due to infection, stones, malignancy (of kidney or bladder for example) or BPH. It is important to have an evaluation and I suggest you continue to be evaluated as deemed necessary by your physician. I hope this information is helpful to you.

Go to the Prostate Cancer health topic, where you can:

Martin I Resnick, MD Martin I Resnick, MD
Formerly, Professor of Urology