Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Addiction and Substance Abuse

Which treatment facility?



I live in Arizona and my 18 year old is finally ready for rehab. Meth, alcohol, and marijuana are the substances he`s abused that we`re aware of. He recently tested positive for meth and marijuana on his first test with the local police department (he hadn`t been charged on his first offense, but was placed on a diversion program). He has about 3-4 months before he is formally charged. How do I know which chemical dependency program is best in phoenix and tucson?


One place to start is the National Directory of Drug and Alcohol Abuse Treatment Programs published by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA). The website is listed below. This website lists programs by city and also tells you the specific focus of the program (inpatient, outpatient, adolescents, criminal justice, etc.) I don`t think this website will give you advice as to the "best" treatment program, but at least you will know all the options in the area.

Two other places that may be helpful: 1. Contact the Arizona State Substance Abuse Agency at 602-381-8999 or www.hs.state.az.us/bhs and inquire about programs with a "good reputation".

2. Contact the President of the Arizona Society of Addiction Medicine whose name is Dr. Michel A. Sucher of Scottsdale, phone number 480-606-3544. This doctor may be familiar with the programs that are high-quality in Arizona.

Related Resources:

National Directory of Drug and Alcohol Abuse Treatment Centers

For more information:

Go to the Addiction and Substance Abuse health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Christina M Delos Reyes, MD Christina M Delos Reyes, MD
Assistant Professor of Psychiatry
School of Medicine
Case Western Reserve University