Dental Hygiene

Mouth guards

09/17/2003

Question:

I`m a nighttime teeth grinder - big time. At first, the dentist fitted me with a guard that fit over my bottom back teeth. After I had some inlays it no longer fit. So then the dentist fitted me with one that is worn on the top front teeth.

Is there any research showing which results in less damage to the teeth during heavy teeth grinding? I`m also wondering why sometimes in the morning the alignment of my lower and upper jaws has changed. I`ll notice it when I chew and the bottom front teeth slip out in front of the upper front teeth.

Thanks!

Answer:

After speaking with a dentist, they stated there is no research that they are aware of indicating which guard results in less damage to the teeth during heavy grinding. Sometimes the guard is put in the arch that shows the most wear. They stated to be sure all the biting surfaces are covered by the guard on the arch where the guard is being worn.

Go to the Dental Hygiene health topic, where you can:

Michele P Carr, RDH,  MA Michele P Carr, RDH, MA
Associate Professor of Dental Hygiene
Associate Professor of HS Nursing Quality & Research