Understanding ADHD, Dyslexia, and Other Learning Disorders

11/10/2003

Question:

Could you please explain to me what ADD is and, if you can what different forms of dyslexia are there, and could you please give me some information on other learning disorders?

Answer:

Wow, BIG questions! In simple terms: 1. Attention Deficit Disorder refers to a decrease ("deficit") in the ability to pay attention ("attend") to certain things (like tasks, other people, or words) to such an extent that it really puts your life in "disorder." 2. Dyslexia refers to different things depending on the background of who is talking about it. It is a combination of ways of learning or trying to learn that can make it difficult to read, spell, write, or even do math. It may involve how fast one can answer a question, whether or not one can put things in the right sequence (such as know that three comes after two, not after five), or what picture comes up in someone`s mind when a word is said. 3. A Learning Disability (LD) is a condition that affects the brain`s ability to receive, or deal with, or hold onto, or respond to information. None of the above, neither ADD, Dyslexia nor LD, mean low IQ. In fact, I know doctors who have one or more of these. Since these questions really have such extensive answers, to get a better idea, I have listed a number of links below. Good luck with your quest for knowledge!

National Institute of Mental Health Information on ADHD
National Institute for Learning Disabilities
Children and Adults with Attention Deficit Disorder

Susan Louisa Montauk, MD
Formerly Professor of Family Medicine