Prostate Cancer

Alternatives to Zoladex and Eulexin

11/03/2003

Question:

I had prostate cancer surgery in 1992. Since then I have been treated with zoladex and eulexin to prevent reoccurance of the cancer. The long term side effects - pain, fatigue, sore muscles, etc. are getting harder to deal with. Are there other options I can shift to - to prevent reoccurance of the cancer - without such difficult side effects?

Answer:

Your symptoms are due to the low level of testosterone, which is the desired effect of the treatment. In that you have been on medication for some time, you may want to ask your physician about intermittent therapy. In this instance, the injection and pills are stopped and PSA is monitored. If and when PSA shows an increase, the medications are then started again. This allows patients to get off the medications and also helps to either stop or decrease the side effects while the patient is off medication. I hope this information is helpful to you.

Go to the Prostate Cancer health topic, where you can:

Martin I Resnick, MD Martin I Resnick, MD
Formerly, Professor of Urology