Dental Hygiene

Science Fair Questionaire

11/12/2003

Question:

Hi.I am participating in sciencefair this year. I will be staining an egg with tea and then testing different brands of toothpaste on the stain. I have to have an interveiw with an expert. If you would, please answer the following: -person interveiwed -occupation, job discription, title.... -address -telephone # 1) What toothpaste would you reccomend for whitening teeth? 2)What is the most effective ingredient in most toothpastes? 3)How do you prevent stains? 4)Des tarter cause stain?

**Are thereany suggestions you can make to help improve my project?

Thank you greatly.

Answer:

Hi! I`m happy to help. I am an assistant professor in Dental Hygiene. I am a dental hygienist but I teach dental hygiene at OSU. My address is 305 W. 12th Avenue. Columbus, OH 43210. My office phone number is 688-4897. No toothpaste will actually whiten teeth. What the whitening toothpastes do is just remove surface stains that may be on the teeth. Any of the whitening toothpastes approved by the ADA (American Dental Association) should be OK. These toothpastes will have a seal on the package that states they are approved by the ADA. The active ingredient in most toothpastes is sodium fluoride which has nothing to do with stain removal. The best way to prevent stains is not to eat or drink the foods that cause them such as coffee, tea, and not to smoke. If someone does drink coffee or tea they should rinse with water or brush immediately after finishing the drink to minimize the staining. Tartar does not cause staining, but the stain attaches to tarter much easier than to the enamel of the teeth. If the toothpastes do not work you might consider trying whitening products on the stained eggshell. This may show more dramatic results. Let me know if I can help any further. Good Luck!

Go to the Dental Hygiene health topic, where you can:

Michele P Carr, RDH,  MA Michele P Carr, RDH, MA
Associate Professor of Dental Hygiene
Associate Professor of HS Nursing Quality & Research