HIV and AIDS

Can The HIV Virus Affect My Baby?

01/12/2004

Question:

Please help me. I kissed someone and their tongue got caught in my retainer and bled a little bit. I asked their HIV status. They said negative. However, I am still worried. I had a rapid test done 9 weeks later, it was negative. Supposedly, this test can detect anitbodies after 20 days with 95% accuracy. I am now pregnant and only have so many more weeks to decide on an abortion. If I am postive, I want to have it done. (This pregnancy is by someone who is definetly negative and not the person I kissed).

What is the chance of becoming infected this way? How many reported cases are there? I will have another test done in 3 weeks that will be 12 weeks after possible exposure, but that will only leave me with one week in which to decide before it is too late to have an abortion. I am very scared. Please shed some light on my situation.

Answer:

The chances you have become HIV-infected as result of this exposure are extremely small, especially with a negative rapid test done 9 weeks later. I`m glad you are going to have another test at 12 weeks after the possible exposure, and chances are very good that it will be negative. You should also be aware that even if you were HIV-infected, that medications are routinely given that will protect the fetus from catching HIV from its mother.

Go to the HIV and AIDS health topic, where you can:

Lisa A Haglund, MD Lisa A Haglund, MD
Associate Professor of Clinical Medicine