ADHD and Driving Ability

01/12/2004

Question:

A friend of mine is a truck driver who has had a few accidents lately. I suggested that he see a Psychiatrist who diegnosed him with ADHD. Would this impare his driving ability? Will he still be able to drive? I think the company he works for is trying to terminate him. Can they do this? Thank You.

Answer:

If your question is, `Can they terminate him just because he has ADHD?`, no. Of course, if he is dangerous on the road and the problem is not solved, they can. Fortunately, if his driving problems are specifically the result of ADHD-related behaviors alone, the high likelihood is that appropriate therapy can help him become a safe and responsible driver. He may need to take a break from driving until his doctor is able to get him appropriately stabilized, and that could mean he needs to bring in a written note from his physician (or whatever form his company wishes him to use) stating he needs a temporary medical leave. If he has further questions, encourage him to discuss things with his doctor. S/he should either be able to answer them or know where to find the answers. In addition, your/his local CHADD chapter may be able to help with information on state and federal laws. I have included the CHADD URL below. 

Children and Adults with Attention Deficit Disorder

Susan Louisa Montauk, MD
Formerly Professor of Family Medicine