Dental and Oral Health (Children)

12 yr old with root problems

01/22/2004

Question:

hello my daughter is 12. She recently went to the dentist and after some X rays they told her she had some roots that were deteriorating. The dentist said this was rare for children and she didn`t have a name for it, but was going to research it. Have you heard of this? Is this common? anything you can give me I would appriciate. Thank You.

Answer:

It is important to know if the teeth that you are concerned about are primary (baby) or permanent teeth. Given your dentist`s concern, I`ll assume that they are permanent. Resorption of the roots of permanent teeth may occur due to trauma, infection or pressure from orthodontic appliances (braces)or other sources. This is a serious issue and should be evaluated by someone with expertise in this area. I recommend that your daughter be examined soon by a pediatric dentist. Pediatric dentists specialize in the oral health care of infants, children and adolescents. He or she should be able to diagnose this problem and either treat it or refer you appropriately. 

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Children) health topic, where you can:

Dennis J McTigue, DDS Dennis J McTigue, DDS
Professor of Pediatric Dentistry