Exercise and Fitness

Toning

03/15/2004

Question:

Hello, I am 20 years old, I am 6 feet tall and I weigh about 175 lbs. I lift weights 3-4 Times a week. I lift lighter weights at 40 reps. I am not fat but I definitely have an extra 10 or 15 lbs of bulk on me. I would like to get more toned and lean. I also jog 5 miles a day but this doesn`t really seem to be doing much. I have a pretty healthy diet. I dont eat a lot of carbs or midnight snacks. What is the best way to tackle this?

-Thanks

Answer:

For a man of your height, you are at your ideal body weight. Are you making sure that you are alternating a day of rest in-between strength training workouts? When you say `bulk`, are you referring to muscle or fat? Keep in mind that carbohydrates are a very important fuel source for the body, and thus should not be eliminated from the diet. Simple sugars (those naturally found in fruits and juices) and complex carbohydrates (starchy foods, such as pasta, bread, oatmeal and other grains) are the best foods to fuel your muscles. Refined sugars (like soda pop and candy) are nutrient-poor choices and lack the vitamins that are needed by the body. It is recommended to eat three meals a day with healthy snacks in-between. 

Go to the Exercise and Fitness health topic, where you can:

Carolyn   Nickol, RD, MEd Carolyn Nickol, RD, MEd
Director
Fitness Center at CARE\Crawley