Vascular Surgery

Numbness in fingers and thumbs

02/20/2004

Question:

For the last month and a half, I have a kind of numbness in my thumbs. When I hold a book or piece of paper my thumbs feel very cold. It almost feels like they have been frostbitten. Both index fingers are starting to feel the same way. I don`t know if this is a problem from my very bad neck arthritis or not. I don`t think it`s carpal tunnel because I don`t seem to have any pain except my fingers feel like they`re always cold. Would I go to a neurologist or a regular doctor to check this out??? I would really appreciate any advise you could give me.

Answer:

Osteoarthritis of the cervical spine (`bad neck arthritis`) is likely the underlying cause of the thumb numbness; however, it would be very helpful to have your primary care doctor check your radial pulses in both arms. If these are found to be diminished, then I would recommend a non-invasive vascular lab study of both arms. This is painless and involves blood pressure cuffs which check pressures in the forearm and fingers. Best of luck!

Go to the Vascular Surgery health topic, where you can:

Amy B Reed, MD Amy B Reed, MD