Making Medication Adjustment

02/23/2004

Question:

My ADHD, bipolar son is suffering from depression and has engaged in self injury a few times by cutting himself. He is currently seeing a psychiatrist and a psychologist and is taking Wellbutrin XL and Trileptol for two weeks now. He is still depressed and I am wondering when should I expect to see an improvement regarding the depression? Thank you for your help. Is there anything else I should be doing right now for my son?

Answer:

There are so many variables that go into the decision about how to treat someone with your son`s problem that I cannot answer specifics about him for I know far too little about his concerns. However, what I can tell you is the following: Except in rare circumstances, parents should have clear and encouraged access to clinicians (physicians and counselors) and/or knowledgeable individuals those clinicians work with who speak for them, who attempt to patiently and compassionately explain just those kinds of concerns, in terms you can understand. Although it may be too early to see change from your son`s medication, it also may not be. Your concern is to be applauded. Contact his doctor`s office, explain what you are seeing of concern, and let them guide the way.

Susan Louisa Montauk, MD
Formerly Professor of Family Medicine