Addiction and Substance Abuse

TV addiction.

03/15/2004

Question:

I am becoming concerned about my wife`s "TV addiction": Being in a highly stressful job and working over 60 hours per week has affected her moods. My main concern is that she spends the vast majority of her home-time watching TV...Not really a problem...Only that it is often for up to 10-12 consecutive hours on her days off work. In fact she usually only gets up for washrooms breaks and resents having to turn it off even for 15 minutes. The contents and nature of the programs being played seems irrelevant to her. She admits that this is a way for her to escape her worries and "switch off" however couldn`t such continuous exposure be damaging in terms of radiations or psychological health? It is almost impossible to adress the possible ill effects of this habit. Thank you.

Answer:

Hello,

This does not fall under substance abuse and chemical dependency. You may want to talk to your family doctor or a psychologist.

Go to the Addiction and Substance Abuse health topic, where you can:

Edna M Jones, MD, MRO Edna M Jones, MD, MRO
Emeritus Clinical Assistant Professor of Family Medicine