ADHD Treatment with Ultrapan

05/10/2004

Question:

I was wondering about the use of tramadol/pendopin (Ultrapan) for the treatment of ADHD. I have heard that it has great success in treating ADHD, and that it only has to be taken on Monday, Wensday, and Friday and still proves effective. I am currently taking Adderall XR 20mg daily for ADHD subtype innatentive. The drug works great for me in keeping me on task and ahead of schedule, but I do not like the increase in heart rate and breathing. (My blood pressure was raised by this drug for the first week, 120/80, but then went back down to 104/66 and has remained that way ever since.) And I often have trouble sleeping, but have declined offers from my psychiatrist for sleeping pills. One pill a day is plenty for me. Ultrapan is sold in Japan under the name SOLIUT (soo-loot). Is Ultrapan available for use in the U.S. for the treatment of ADHD? If not Ultrapan, is just Tramadol hcl available? (I`m not sure what pendopin is...) And how does Ultrapan (or just tramadol hcl) work (in theory, facts?) in treating ADHD. Thank you.

Answer:

I have still not been able to locate any reliable information on this. There is a lot of general information out there and there may be something to the use of this medication, but unless/until I can identify specific information from reliable sources, I don`t feel comfortable putting much into print.

I will keep my eyes and ears open and keep you posted.

Susan Louisa Montauk, MD
Formerly Professor of Family Medicine