Exercise and Fitness

Fitness Help

07/22/2004

Question:

I curently have 3 1/2 abs, but I have love handles and a pudge where my bell button is. How do I get rid of those love handles and pudge? I lift weights everyday but different muscles each day. I ride my bike a mile each day and play atleast 3 games of raquet ball each day. I also do ab workouts every other day. Please give me some advice. Thank you very much.

Answer:

As much as we would all like to be able to lose unwanted weight in particular areas of our bodies, it is not possible to "spot reduce".  In order to lose weight in any particular area, one must reduce overall body fat.  Your genetic make-up determines where your body fat is stored.  A sound program of cardiovascular activity for 20 - 30 minutes at an intensity within your target heart rate range, 3 - 5 days per week; strength training 2 - 3 days per week; and eating a nutritious, well-balanced diet, is the best way to maintain an appropriate body weight.

Go to the Exercise and Fitness health topic, where you can:

Carolyn   Nickol, RD, MEd Carolyn Nickol, RD, MEd
Director
Fitness Center at CARE\Crawley