Exercise and Fitness

Help with c-section belly!

04/14/2004

Question:

I had a baby 9 months ago (my second child) and as with the first , i had a c-section-with a vertical incision. i am completely healed & feel great , but the shape of my stomsch ( split down the middle) is awful.....how do i help flatten my abs ??? please help!!!! Thank_YOu!!

Answer:

It is possible to strengthen abdominal muscles after abdominal surgery, including C-Section delivery. Here are three abdominal exercises to strengthen your rectus abdominus and oblique muscles. As with any exercise, remember to perform the exercise in a slow, controlled manner. BASIC CRUNCH-lie on your back with feet flat on the floor and your knees toward the ceiling. Place your hands, fingers barely touching, behind your head to support it. With eyes, nose and chin facing the ceiling, slowly lift your upper body until your shoulder blades clear the floor. Avoid pulling head or straining neck during the exercise. Keep your abdominal muscles contracted throughout the exercise by pressing your naval to your spine. OBLIQUE CRUNCH - lie on your back with your feet flat on the floor and your knees toward the ceiling. Place your hands, fingers barely touching, behind your head to support it. Leading with the shoulder, rotate the torso to the opposite knee. REVERSE CRUNCH-lie on the floor on your back. Place your legs in a 45 or 90-degree angle with your hands and arms at either side of your body. Slowly lift and lower your hips from the floor. Try to lift your shins toward the ceiling and avoid using your hands to press off of the ground.

Go to the Exercise and Fitness health topic, where you can:

Carolyn   Nickol, RD, MEd Carolyn Nickol, RD, MEd
Director
Fitness Center at CARE\Crawley