Medication Issues

05/13/2004

Question:

My stepdaughter takes this drug for ADD she wants me to believe that this drug at 30mg is too strong and that after taking maybe 2 or 3 pills it keeps her up for days. When on those 2 or 3 pills she talks for at least 17 hr to 19hr straight before stop for anything she drinks 2 cans of diet pespi a week she sleep for 24hr only up to go to the bathroom and eat. She immediately goes back to sleep afterwards, she won`t listen to any one that tries to talk her about this problem .

Answer:

I am sorry but I am somewhat unclear about the problem, although it does sound like there may be a problem.

If she is under eighteen and you have permission to do so, discuss it with her doctor. If she is under 18 but you do not have permission, discuss it with those who do. If she is 18 or older and you feel she is taking it in a way that may be harming her and against her doctor`s advice, but she won`t listen to you, you may want to tell her doctor`s office but understand that they cannot discuss it with you and she may consider it meddling in her business. In addition, I cannot assure you at all that is the right thing to do. 

Also realize that, sometimes, as much as we would like to help people 18 and older ("adults"), they really need to learn for themselves. My heart is with you---if she is an adult, deciding when to intervene when it comes to possible drug or alcohol misuse can be a very difficult decision. Since it was difficult for me to understand the situation, perhaps your own doctor might help you understand more clearly.

Susan Louisa Montauk, MD
Formerly Professor of Family Medicine