Crowns, Bridges, Dentures, Implants

Loose Teeth after Crown

05/14/2004

Question:

I just had treatment done on 3 teeth in my lower right jaw. 1) I had a post for an implant placed in the second to the last tooth location June 2003 (the crown has not yet been placed on this tooth as my dentist stated the crowns on the adjacent teeth must be placed before the crown for the implant) 2) I had crowns placed on each tooth on either side of this implant (Nov 2003) 3) Within days of having these new crowns placed, I began to have extreme pain on this lower side of my jaw. I went into my doctor several times with this pain but only after a month did he realized both of these crowns were in extreme hyper-occlusion. He made occlusive adjustments and put me in a night splint (Dec 2003.) The teeth with the new crowns are still extremely loose and it feels like there is a working interference in the occlusion of these teeth. I have gone in subsequent times for occlusive adjustment but he seems to have difficulty correcting this occlusion. My doctor says this pain and looseness is due to the fact that there is a space in between these teeth (where the post for the implant is.) That tooth however has been missing for 20 years and the adjacent teeth were not loose or in pain before. I am concerned with the extreme looseness of these teeth and the continuation of pain. Is this reasonable for me to expect? Is there a doctor that specializes in occlusion that might be able to look at my teeth for proper adjustments?

Answer:

It would be a good idea to have an evaluation done by a prosthodontist who specializes in this area.

Find a Prosthodontist Near You (American College of Prosthodontists)

Go to the Crowns, Bridges, Dentures, Implants health topic, where you can:

Nancy L Clelland, DMD, MSD Nancy L Clelland, DMD, MSD
Professor of Restorative & Prosthetic Dentistry