Obesity and Weight Management

Low carb craze

06/08/2004

Question:

If a person eats the low carb items, say from Adkins foods and they don`t follow the Adkins diet, do they gain more weight due to the fact that carbs are used first in the body and Adkins foods are usually both high fat and high protein. Are people getting fatter on these foods?

Answer:

People need to be careful when jumping on the low-carb bandwagon. What isn`t emphasized is the increase in fat in many of these products. We need to remember that it`s the calories that count and that fat has twice as many calories as carbohydrates and proteins. I try to remind people that carbohydrates don`t cause us to gain weight, but that overeating carbohydrates will contribute to weight gain. I`m worried that we will see the same thing that happened when low-fat/fat-free products were introduced....weight will increase because as long as there aren`t any carbs, people feel they can have as much as they want. The bottom line is all foods can fit; we just need to think balance and portion control, and of course we have to include activity.

Hope this helps. 

Go to the Obesity and Weight Management health topic, where you can:

Angela Blackstone, RD, LD
Staff Dietitian
Center for Wellness and Prevention
Clinical Instructor
School of Allied Medical Professionals