Crowns, Bridges, Dentures, Implants

Handling Broken Tooth

06/01/2004

Question:

Nine months ago I had extensive dental work done. I had root canals and crowns done on teeth no 4,5 and 6 my upper right. During that process a filling came out of a tooth in my upper left. The tooth is right by my left eye tooth. I find myself chewing on this tooth and the surrounding teeth. I have been having headaches and stiff jaws, also teeth pain. The tooth can not be saved. Is it possible that chewing on this tooth is causing my discomfort? If so would pulling it help or make it worse. My upper gum's are also in very bad shape. So I am considering upper dentures, but will not have that done until late August or early September. Should I go ahead and have the broken tooth pulled? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Answer:

I would recommend following the advice offered to you by your dental provider or seek a clinical evaluation by another dentist. It is impossible to make a recommendation without a clinical exam.

Go to the Crowns, Bridges, Dentures, Implants health topic, where you can:

Nancy L Clelland, DMD, MSD Nancy L Clelland, DMD, MSD
Professor of Restorative & Prosthetic Dentistry