Stroke

Brain pain

06/01/2004

Question:

Three weeks ago I had a headache for four days, following a very stressful work week. I have since developed a tweeking pain in the right temporal region, about one inch below the scalp, and one and a half inches from the right temple. This occurs about once every four hours. It seems to be subsiding. Do I need to get tests for such a thing?

Answer:

Without doing a full history and physical, I cannot answer your question completely.

I can give you some general information.  Headaches are common, affecting up to 50% of all persons in the US.  Most often, they go away on their own or can be treated with over the counter pain relievers such as Tylenol or Ibuprofen.  It is not typical for a headache to last 4 days, but I have certainly heard that from many patients so it is not entirely abnormal.  I cannot even be certain that your recurrent "tweeking pain" is related to your headache.

I would suggest that you call your primary care physician and ask him/her about what is going on.  They might want to see you in the office.  Certainly if any of your pains are associated with fever, chills, and sweats OR with weakness or numbness you should call immediately and ask to be seen that day.  If you should develop weakness or numbness persisting for more than 15 minutes, you should probably call 911 and get to an emergency room.

I hope this information helps. 

Go to the Stroke health topic, where you can:

Brett   Kissela, MD Brett Kissela, MD
Director, Neurology Residency Program