Obesity and Weight Management

Stomach pain

06/21/2004

Question:

I am a 29 year old female. I have pain in the upper and lower part of my stomach and the lower parts of my back. My weight is 280 and I am 5`7 in height I`ve tried every thing to loose weight but nothing works and my doctor keep saying he dont know why I am gaining this weight . I watch what I eat and I do exercise and I still gain weight . what can I do

Answer:

Thank you for your question.  Have you discussed the pain in your upper and lower stomach and back with your physician?  Don't assume that it is the result of excess weight.

When weight is gained, you are eating more calories than your body can burn through the exercise you choose to do and the calories your body uses to pump the blood through your body and other functions necessary for life.  You need to know exactly what you are eating.  The way to do this is to write it down including the amount of food you eat.  If you eat a  chicken breast, how large is it and how was it prepared (fried, grilled, baked).  You should also write down how long you exercise and what you are doing for exercise.  Note how tired you are after exercising.  This information is needed to really understand what you are currently doing.  Your physician can refer you to a dietitian who will review what you have eaten and how long you have exercised, and help you make small changes to lose weight. 

The dietitian may also suggest determining your resting metabolic rate.  This information will tell you how many calories your body needs to maintain your weight when you are totally sedentary.  Knowing this information, the dietitian can more specifically help you with a meal plan and exercise routine that will allow you to lose 1 to 2 pounds each week.

If your physician does not have a dietitian to whom he may refer you, contact the American Dietetic Association at www.eatright.org. They will be able to direct you to dietitians located in your area.

Losing weight can be difficult.  We often eat without thinking and often more than we realize because food seems to be a part of everything we do and it is always available.  You have taken the first step by asking for help. 

To Your Health!

Know Your Number (RMR) to Lose Weight

Go to the Obesity and Weight Management health topic, where you can:

Shirley A Kindrick, PhD Shirley A Kindrick, PhD
Team Leader of Comprehensive Weight Management