Complementary Medicine

Are Breast Enhancement Pills Effective?

06/23/2004

Question:

I was just wondering if breast enhancements really work because a few web sites I looked at said that they don`t while others say they do. Will you please give me an answer before I try something that will hurt me? Thank you.

Answer:

Breast enhancement supplements usually contain herbs with female hormones (phytoestrogens).  There are probably hundreds, if not thousands of herbs that contain phytoestrogens.  Not many have been studied for their potential beneficial or toxic effects.  The best known phytoestrogens occur in soy and black cohosh.  These actually are much less potent than your body's natural estrogen and therefore may have the opposite effect in the breasts that you are looking for.  If there are phytoestrogens which enhance the size of breasts, I would look carefully at studies ensuring that they don't increase the risks of breast cancer.  But those studies haven't been done.  So, my advice is to avoid so-called breast enhancing supplements until the research proves that they are safe.

Go to the Complementary Medicine health topic, where you can:

Tanya I Edwards, MD, MEd Tanya I Edwards, MD, MEd
Formerly, Associate Professor of Medicine