Prostate Cancer

What Surgical Options Are Available for Me?

07/01/2004

Question:

I am 48 years old and I have a gleason score of 3+3=6 involving one of six core fragments submitted (approximate tumor volume less than 10%). My question is would radiation and seeds be best for me or surgery? I am concerned about loosing my male functions. Right prostate biopsy indicates there are six tan cylindrical soft tissue fragments measuring from 0.6 x 0.1 cm up to 1.3 x 0.1 cm; all six fragments entirely submitted as A1 and A2. Left prostate are six tan cylindrical soft tissue fragments measuring from 0.9 x 0.1 cm up to 1.4 x 0.1 cm; all six fragments entirely submitted as B1 and B2.

Answer:

You have options.  Surgical removal of the prostate is very appropriate for your situation and potency can be preserved in about 70% of men your age.  Radiation therapy including seed implantation is also an option.  There are pros and cons with each approach and I suggest that you discuss them with your urologist.  It may be of value to discuss the options with a radiation oncologist as well.

Go to the Prostate Cancer health topic, where you can:

Martin I Resnick, MD Martin I Resnick, MD
Formerly, Professor of Urology