Exercise and Fitness

Extreme flushed face after exertion

07/22/2004

Question:

After I exercise for an extended period of time, examples: racket ball, biking, hiking I typically experience a a bright red face that lasts for a long time, even after I`ve showered and cooled down. I am female and 49 and this has been a pattern since I was young. As I get older and continue to exercise is this symptomatic of something I should be more aware of? I usually bike ride between 20-25 miles a day. Hiking can be anywhere from 3 to 10 miles. I try to keep hydrated. My blood pressure is typically low to average although I have never had it checked after exertion. At times there is some feeling of light headedness but nothing extreme. Should I be concerned especially as I approach 50+? Thanks for any info on why this occurs and why it takes so long to go away.

Answer:

While exercising, your body is producing heat.  One of the ways your body rids itself of heat is by increasing blood flow to your skin's surface so that heat can be radiated off.  This usually lasts for a short period of time after or during exercise.  I suggest you consult your personal physician to determine any specific medical reason for the extent of your situation.

Go to the Exercise and Fitness health topic, where you can:

Carolyn   Nickol, RD, MEd Carolyn Nickol, RD, MEd
Director
Fitness Center at CARE\Crawley