Obesity and Weight Management

I`m Over Weight

07/20/2004

Question:

i`m yougne and over weight for my age what do i do?

Answer:

Thank you for writing.  I need more information to really answer you.  How old are you?  How tall are you?  How much do you weigh?  Has your doctor talked to you about your weight and suggested that you need to lower it? 

Many people are overweight, but not everyone is.  Sometimes we hear so much about the extra weight people carry around that we automatically think we must be overweight also.  If your doctor has not mentioned your weight, ask him/her if you are the right weight for your age and size.  Your doctor can help you with a reasonable goal if weight loss is needed as well as encourage you if you are the appropriate weight for your age and height. 

Before you see your doctor, keep a record of what you eat (include at least 3 days: 1 week-end day and 2 week days), when in the day you eat, and how much you eat.  Also keep a log of the exercising you do for the same time period.  This will be useful information for your doctor.  Try to choose days that are typical days for you.  Seeing your own food record and exercise log may suggest to you some changes you could make.

Managing our weight means balancing the calories in (what you eat) with the calories out (what you burn in exercise).  If there are medical problems making your weight management difficult, your doctor is the person who will help you identify and treat that problem.  If there are other reasons you are having trouble managing your weight, your physician will refer you to someone who can help.

To Your Good Health!

Go to the Obesity and Weight Management health topic, where you can:

Shirley A Kindrick, PhD Shirley A Kindrick, PhD
Former Team Leader of Comprehensive Weight Management