Dental Hygiene

Bridgework/root canal/gums

07/27/2004

Question:

I was given a beginning of a root canal on the anchor tooth of my bridge. I was told to come back in three weeks for the rest. In the meantime my bridge (front top) fell out . (THIS BRIDGE WAS PUT IN LAST YEAR AT 2,000.00 APPROX.) Called dentist not available Emergency no. called me tellin me to use dental creme to temp. keep it up My pain stopped when bridge fell out. Why a root canal when after 4 xrays nothing? I believe that the assist. dentist dislodged my bridge. Is that possible? My gums were always pink now they are close to white. Isn`t that gum disease? They left teeth under my bridge which are yellow and black? Could that be the problem? This is my third bridge. I have never had trouble with the others. He didn`t know where the pain was so he started a root canal. Please explain why a dentist would start a procedure if not needed? Thank you very much for everything.

Answer:

When the gums are red, swollen and bleed easily, that is a sign of gum disease.  I do not know the details of your visit such as the symptoms of your pain so I cannot answer why a root canal was started.

Go to the Dental Hygiene health topic, where you can:

Michele P Carr, RDH,  MA Michele P Carr, RDH, MA
Associate Professor of Dental Hygiene
Associate Professor of HS Nursing Quality & Research