Alzheimer's Disease

Helping Someone with Alzheimer's Disease

08/04/2004

Question:

I have a customer that has been told she has Alzheimer's disease by her doctors. I work for a bank and I know that she has been taken advantage of with her account by a number of “Contractors” helping her with her house. Unfortunately, I have watched her account continue to dwindle down. I know these people are taking total advantage of her and I do not know where to go to get help. She has no family and I cannot continue to let this happen to her and as her banker I need some kind of direction. Should I contact the police or the district Attorney? Where do I go to help her? She has gone through a large sum of money in the past few months and does not recall what checks she has written. Please help me.

Answer:

You are to be commended for you concern for a vulnerable older adult. I would recommend that you contact the local authorities such as the police department, and/or Adult Protective Services department. Adult Protective Services is an agency that all communities generally have to protect older adults from exploitation and abuse. 

Go to the Alzheimer's Disease health topic, where you can:

Paula K Ogrocki, PhD Paula K Ogrocki, PhD