HIV and AIDS

Do I Need To Get Retested After Taking The MedMira?

08/17/2004

Question:

10 months ago, I had protected sex with a sex-worker. I am terribly worried from that time as I rubbed my penis with my hand after I rubbed the condom with the same hand. 8 and half months after this accident, I got tested by a home self test kit (MiraTes). Test result was negative. Two weeks later (9 months after the accident), I tested myself again using the same product (HIV MiraTes). Test result was negative again. However, I am still very worried as this test kit is not approved by FDA. I am also afraid to go to the doctor for test. Can I depend on those two tests and free my mind? Please advice.

Answer:

Home test kits have been approved by the FDA for the detection of HIV infection.  One of these is produced by MedMira, which is what I assume you are referring to.  (I cannot find references to "MiraTes" but you can check on http://www.medmira.com/ to see if this was the test you took.)  These tests are very accurate, and since you have done two of them 6 months after the exposure, with both of them negative, I think you can quit worrying about that particular exposure.  Continued contacts with commercial sex workers would place you in a high risk category for sexually transmitted disease acquisition, including diseases other than HIV.  A change in lifestyle might prevent further anxiety.

Go to the HIV and AIDS health topic, where you can:

Peter Grubbs, MD